Tuesday, June 8, 2010

But It Can Always Have Carbohydrates


It's cool to eat carbs again, right? Clearly a soup made with potatoes needed a little extra starch on the side, so I decided to make some biscuits I'd been wanting to try. I do love me some bread products though, in basically all their forms. I've been trying to make biscuits and bread a little more often and these will definitely help me in that feat. They were super easy to make and really tasty.

My only thoughts are that they are a bit blue cheese heavy. I liked them, but I was a little sad that I couldn't taste much of the scallions. I think if I were to repeat this I might only use about one cup of blue cheese and I might go a little heavier on the scallions. This would also be tasty with cheddar instead of blue cheese and I would imagine that jalapenos instead of scallions would give it a nice little kick.

The important thing is that the biscuit itself was DELICIOUS. So light and fluffy, not to mention easy to make on a weeknight. Highly recommended from this kitchen!


Blue Cheese Scallion Drop Biscuits
very slightly adapted from Smitten Kitchen

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
6 tbsp. (3/4 stick) cold, unsalted butter cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 - 1 1/2 cups crumbled blue cheese
5 - 6 scallions, finely chopped
1 cup well-shaken buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Whisk or soft together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add the butter and blend with your fingers or with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles small crumbs. Add in the blue cheese and scallions. Add the buttermilk and stir until combined but be careful not to overmix.
Drop dough in large (very large) spoonfuls onto a buttered baking sheet. This should result in twelve equal mounds. Bake for 16 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Don't be scared of the large size of the mounds and the fluffiness of the biscuits. They will turn out perfectly!

No comments:

Post a Comment