- I don't like combining fruit with savory ingredients. At all. Ever. EXCEPT when it comes to mango salsa. And I truly LOVE this mango salsa. So don't be scared.
- I have no idea what the difference is between salsa and pico de gallo or any other forms of chopped vegetables. This is chopped mango. Whatever that means. Yum.
- I LOVED the blackened fish, I thought it added a nice amount of spice and slight crunch. I'm sure this could be made grilled or any other way you prefer.
- You truly don't need a lot of toppings for this. We had colby jack cheese, avocado, sour cream, and the mango salsa. I could take or leave the cheese (which is rare, for me). I liked mine with sour cream, hubs preferred his without. The key is the spice of the fish, the sweet of the salsa, and the creamy addition of the avocado.
- We used flour tortillas, which we heated in the microwave separately between two paper towels for about 20 seconds.
- My belly is still happy.
- Oh, did I mention how awesome the mango salsa is?
for two Tilapia filets:
1 tbsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. paprika
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
salt & black pepper
Use a fork to mix the spices in a shallow bowl or dish. Feel free to adjust the seasonings to taste. I thought this was quite tasty, but could probably have kicked either the chili powder or paprika up a notch. Coat both sides of the fish filets in the seasoning.
Heat oil in a frying pan or skillet until it is almost hot enough to start smoking. Cook the fish on one side for about two or three minutes, just long enough to cause that side to blacken. Flip over and finish cooking, about three to five minutes, or until fish flakes when poked with a fork.
adapted from a couple recipes I think we found on Food Network
1 mango, chopped
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
1/2 - 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
juice of 1 lime
2 - 3 tbsp. cilantro
salt & pepper
I'm going to defer to Pioneer Woman for a tutorial on chopping mango.
Combine all ingredients except the salt and pepper in a bowl. Season to taste. Easy AND amazing!