Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Another Deee-licious Pasta

This recipe was exciting for me. Most of what I cook comes from something tried and true. Something I can read and then use to carefully measure everything that goes into the dish. For this one, it was a mere concept in my head. I knew I wanted mushrooms. I figured I'd better add some meat for the hubby. And I knew I didn't want "plain" tomato sauce.

I threw things together, actually remembering to write things down and measure for once! You know what? It came out perfect! I was sooo psyched that this pasta dish was so delicious. I have honestly been craving this ever since. The sauce was flavorful and the mushrooms and sausage were a fabulous combination. Overall, this was a huge success, and I can't wait to make it again!

Pasta with Sausage & Mushrooms in Tomato Cream Sauce

1 package mild Italian sausage
10 ounces mushrooms*
1-15 ounce can of tomato sauce/crushed tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
1 tbsp. fresh oregano, chopped
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 package pasta of your choice
grated Parmesan cheese

Cook your desired amount of pasta according to package directions.

Heat the sausages over medium heat until cooked through. Remove from heat.

In the same pan, cook the mushrooms on low heat for approximately 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 - 3 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, basil, and oregano. Heat this through, for about 3 - 5 minutes. Add the sausage and continue to cook for another 10 - 15 minutes, until sausages are hot. Stir in the cream.

Serve the sausages and sauce over pasta. Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese. Attempt to not lick your plate clean!

*I believe I read somewhere that mushrooms should not be washed, but should be wiped off with a paper towel instead. I've been doing this, and it seems to be working!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I'm very impressed by your success with experimentation! Way to go, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete