Sunday, December 12, 2010

Welcome to Our Kitchen

I'd like to welcome you to a special addition of At Home with the Raceys:

Conversation before dinner:

Hubs: What's for dinner tonight?
Me: I don't want to tell you.
Hubs: Why not? It's a simple question.
Me: You'll think it sounds weird and you won't want it.
Hubs: Tell me.
Me: Ok, Shakshuka.
Hubs: Why can't I just get a good ol' American meal in here once in a while?!
end scene

enter stage left, 30 minutes later
Hubs: Babe, this is great! I'm really amazed!

Allie: 1 Hubs: 0


Victory! Seriously though, I barely get credit for this one. This dinner was so easy, and delicious, and even nutritious! Yay for making a homerun super easy. The spicy tomato sauce is fantastic in this dish. The eggs add a really delicious rich quality to the sauce, although they are by no means overwhelming. The original recipe calls for feta, but I am SO not a fan, so I subbed in goat cheese. The slightly salty aspect of the goat cheese was perfect. Scooped up with some pita bread, this was a perfect weeknight meal.

This is apparently an Israeli side dish. I believe I've seen it similarly in other places. I could go into it more, but I will let the original poster do that. I heart Smitten Kitchen for posting fabulous recipes.


Shakshuka
barely adapted from Smitten Kitchen

1/4 c. olive oil
3(ish) jalapenos or other hot peppers (stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped)
1 small, yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. paprika
1 28-oz. can of whole, peeled tomatoes (undrained)
salt, to taste
4 eggs (or more, if you like, there is plenty of sauce)
1/3 c. crumbled goat cheese or feta
1 tbsp. chopped parsley
warm pitas


Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and peppers and cook until softened, about five minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, and paprika and cook for an additional two minutes. Dump the tomatoes in a bowl with their juice. Get in there with your hands and crush them (trust me, this was the best part). Add the tomatoes and their liquid to the pot, along with about 1/4 c. water. Add salt, to taste. Cook the sauce until slightly thickened and reduced (yeah, I'm still bad at this).

Crack the eggs on top of the liquid. Cover with the lid and cook until the yolks are just barely set, about 4 - 5 minutes. When this is complete, use a spoon to cover the eggs with sauce, without breaking the yolks. Add in the cheese and parsley. Serve with pitas: completely necessary for scooping up all that saucy goodness!

Make sure your husband appreciates your creativity.

2 comments:

  1. that looks amazing! I however love feta and greatly dislike goat cheese so I would probably stick with the feta. that looks so YUMMY especially on a night like tonight. the cold rainy weather was making me really want a yummy smell the house up stew so I made venison stew for dinner tonight and it was also a homerun. I love reading your recipes and your conversation before dinner sounds VERY familiar haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, I'm glad you know what that's like! It's absolutely perfect for this kind of weather. All I can think about now are soups and stews! Your stew sounds great also, glad it went over well. Thanks for checking in!

    ReplyDelete