Monday, February 4, 2013

A Bribe

I was given a copy of the Smitten Kitchen cookbook for Christmas by some wonderful friends as what I think amounts to a bribe. They've been asking for updates, and I am pretty sure that they thought if they gave me some new recipes I would HAVE to put them onto the blog.

Luckily they are pretty great (the friends and the recipes!), so here I am posting something after eight million years. It seems only fitting that I would post a Smitten Kitchen recipe from the new book. I have tried a number of things, and of course they have all been delicious.


I'll start out with a simple lettuce wedge we had for dinner one night with a homemade pizza. A wedge salad seems pretty simple, but one thing I have always loved about Smitten Kitchen is that she shares the same taste for certain textures and flavors as I do. As such, I loved the addition of radishes, and I loved the light dressing.

Stay tuned for an amazing pizza recipe to follow!

Iceberg Stack
semi-adapted from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook

1/2 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. mayonnaise or Greek yogurt
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic (minced)
salt & pepper, to taste
4 oz. bacon, sliced
1 celery stalk
1/3 c. radishes, diced
1 head iceberg lettuce, sliced into 1-inch rounds
1/2 c. blue cheese
1/4 c. chives, chopped

This salad can be served either as a traditional "wedge" or sliced into rounds, which allows the goodies and dressing to drip down in between all the lettuce leaves instead of cascading over the top.

Fry the bacon in a pan until crisp. Drain it and crumble the bacon. In the meantime, make the dressing. Whisk together the buttermilk, mayonnaise or yogurt, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper.

Place your largest round onto a plate and add radishes, celery, bacon crumbles, and blue cheese. Drizzle with dressing and top with blue cheese. Stack another round on top and again add the radishes, celery, bacon, and blue cheese. Top off with dressing and chives.

Relish in the glory of a simple iceberg salad! (Also, don't forget to enjoy with pizza!)

No comments:

Post a Comment