Thursday, August 12, 2010

My Favorite Summertime Dessert... Maybe?


I think strawberry shortcake is my favorite summer dessert. Or maybe it's blueberry pie. Or any pie, for that matter. But seriously, I think it's strawberry shortcake. What is it about fruit and pastry that is so delicious?! Add a little whipped cream or a little vanilla ice cream, and you've got perfection, in my humble opinion. As a matter of fact, I think I'm going to find another excuse to make this today.


Every part of this is easy and delicious, even on it's own. Although you might garner some stares by eating an entire bowl of sugar berries by themselves. I won't say the thought didn't cross my mind. Originally I wasn't planning on making whipped cream, but I forgot to buy any at the store. I'm SO glad I did, because it was easy and way worth it to just whip (!) some up. Actually, I keep asking hubs if we can make more whipped cream to put on just about everything. He keeps saying no.

Strawberry Shortcake
slightly adapted from Betty Crocker

Berries:
1 qt. strawberries
1 c. sugar

Mix the berries and the sugar in a bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Shortcake:
1/3 c. shortening
2 c. all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 c. milk
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut the shortening into the flour, 2 tbsp. sugar, baking powder, and salt using your hands, a pastry cutter (my preferred method), two knives, or a mixer until you get fine crumbs. Stir in the milk slowly until the dough just comes together. Smooth the doung into a ball on a lightly floured surface and knead 20 - 25 times. Roll it out to 3/4 to 1-inch thickness. Cut with a floured 3-inch cutter. Place an inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
Whipped Cream:
1/2 c. heavy cream
1 tbsp. sugar

Using an electric mixture, whip the cream and the sugar until stiff peaks form. Don't overhwip!
Spoon berries and whipped cream over the biscuits and savor for a perfect summer evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment