Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Good Staple


So a few months ago I set out to make an apple crisp. I googled recipes and searched blogs. I just wanted something basic, with ingredients I already had on hand. I even asked my sister, you know, the baker in the family. She is the self-professed Queen of Crisps, and since she never brags, if she says that it must be true. I found many variations with interesting add-ins and odd fruits and flavors. I just couldn't find a simple apple crisp recipe.
I know it sounds silly. Lots of online sources and my sister tried to explain to me how to make the topping. A little flour, a little melted butter, and some brown sugar. Somehow I came out with a version of a pie crust. Or maybe it was cobbler? I don't honestly have any idea what it was, but it was most certainly not a crust. This story really just goes to prove that it's not in my head that I MUST have a recipe to follow, at least the first time.

So while many of you probably know how to make an apple crisp, I am posting this for those of you like me that truly need a recipe, even for something seemingly as simple as crisp topping. And this one was certainly delicious. As evidenced by the bowl licked clean by the hubby and his brother. Thanks Betty Crocker!



Apple Crisp
from Betty Crocker

1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. oats
3/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/3 c. margarine or butter (melted)

apples (about 5 medium)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Arrange the apples in a baking dish, about 8 x 8. Combine all dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the melted butter and stir until crumbs form. Spread evenly over the apples. Bake for 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and crispy. Serve with ice cream or homemade whipped cream.

Hmm, typing this now, I feel kind of dumb. Oh well, variations could include:
-adding nuts to the topping
-adding some lemon juice to brighten up the apples
-adding a cinnamon/sugar mixture to the apples themselves

Enjoy, no matter how you make your crisp!

No comments:

Post a Comment