Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Epic Fail and Salmon

Sigh. I don't even know where to begin. Remember me talking about not having had a major kitchen failure in a while? I think I jinxed myself. Only this was worse than having to order pizza or throwing everything out. I had a glorious dinner planned last night. Sweet and spicy salmon. Balsamic-glazed broccoli. And the kicker... blue cheese potato cakes, which I've wanted to make for years.

So what happened? Well, I needed to mash the potatoes and get them really fine, so I pulled out the immersion blender (probably still not the right tool). Let me just tell you that I know who wins in immersion blender vs. finger. It's not finger. Ten stitches (and I'll spare you the bloody pictures) later, dinner was scrapped. It will be at least a couple weeks before I have another go of the potatoes.


We did manage to save the salmon and cook it tonight. And in spite of it all (because of it all?), the fish was delicious! In a way, it's sort of a no-brainer of a recipe. It's also just not a combination I had thought about before. I will eat Old Bay on nearly anything. Old Bay plus brown sugar? Salty/spicy plus sweet? Yes, please! This is a winner of a salmon dish that we will be enjoying again, hopefully with less drama.


Sweet and Spicy Salmon
slightly adapted from Taste of the South magazine

1 salmon filet (about 1 lb.) or 4 filets of 4 oz. each
1 tbsp. Old Bay
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 - 2 tbsp. olive oil

Mix the Old Bay and brown sugar. Brush olive oil on the top and sides of filet(s). Rub the oil-coated fish with the spice mixture. Let the fish rest for approximately 10 minutes, or longer in the fridge. Grill the fish until cooked through. The time of this varies, depending on thickness. You'll know it's done when the fish flakes easily with a fork.

Savour this, it's easy to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment