Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Help!

Well, I suppose by January 12 the holidays are officially over and I can get back to this. I'm not going to make any real resolutions this year. Actually, I did make one - remember to freeze my leftover veggie parts so I can make my own veggie stock. Awesome, huh? But seriously, I've been pretty pleased with my kitchen escapades over the last year. I think I'd just like to keep up more of the same. I will try to do a little better posting regularly, I think I'm finally getting a rhythym.

But ok, I think have a problem. I haven't truly failed in the kitchen in a while. Sure, there have been accidents. And often when I taste something I make a mental note (oft forgotten) to add something or change something the next time I make it. There seems to be something I just can't conquer, and I figured now was as good a time as any to finally figure it out.

I can't make a good roast in the crock pot! I know, right?! We made an amazing pulled pork and I can do a pretty good chili. Why can't I throw a hunk of meat in there and make it tender? I Swear everytime I cook it the roast is not tender at all and the flavor is... well... bland. I've had two phenomenal roasts recently made by friends (Michelle and Meg - help?), but I can't seem to figure this out on my own.

So, any suggestions? Thought? Tips? I will take any and all help I can get! So thanks in advance - from me and the hubs!

4 comments:

  1. ha ha, sorry, I can't help you with this one! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I brown it first in olive oil and put a ton of creole seasoning then cook the heck out of it in brown gravy. It's funny because my attempts at pulled pork have failed, maybe every time you want roast I can make it and when we want pulled pork you can :) good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Michelle! I will have to try again. Or I might just call you whenever I have a craving. You can do the same for pulled pork :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so I have never made a roast in the crock pot before so I asked my mom and she said to use the lipton soup mix, whichever flavor you like - onion, mushroom, etc.... and then put either a lil bit of water in with it to help "steam" it or put a can of beef consume in with it for a richer flavor and then just leave it for the day. GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete