Thursday, January 20, 2011

Thanks to the Hubs

Well, Hubby gets credit for this post. With only nine fingers in use I am out of commission, at least for things like mixing ingredients into ground meat. Also, I've been placed on restriction from using sharp objects until further notice. But we plowed ahead and the hubs helped me get  got dinner under control.


Meatloaf is something it took me a long time to try. It always carried a sort of negative connotation. Ewww, meatloaf! (Ok, that's hard to convey in type.) Then when I got around to trying it, what I had was really good. I had one barbecue beef meatloaf and then I had a turkey meatloaf. In our effort to eat (somewhat) healthier, we attacked the turkey meatloaf first. So thanks to my wifey Jen for sending the estimated measurements on this my way!


Jen and Cory's Meatloaf

1 lb. ground turkey meat
1 small onion, chopped
1 small (or one half) red bell pepper, chopped
2 - 3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 - 1 1/2 c. breadcrumbs
1/4 c. parmesan cheese, grated
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. basil
black pepper, to taste
ketchup, on top
4 - 5 slices bacon (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. This is quite the easy one... mix all ingredients together except for the ketchup and bacon. This is easiest to just do with your hands. When all ingredients are well-mixed, form into a loaf shape. Place on a lightly greased or non-stick baking sheet. Drizzle a few strips of ketchup across the top. Lay a few slices of bacon across the top cross-wise. You can leave the bacon off or opt for turkey bacon for healthier options. Bake for about an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and a half.


Although I love recipe that can be converted into vegetarian versions, I think this one has to stay all meat. Sorry about that! However, if you are an omnivore, enjoy this classic and comforting dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment